Wellington Property Investors' Association

04 472 9877 answerph


News & Updates

Recent updates


WorkSafe New Zealand

Robert Birse from WorkSafe New Zealand will take us through duties of residential landlords under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and the (Asbestos) Regulations 2016


Duties under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 …..”do I have a duty under the Act for a rental property” and “if I do what is the duty”

Duties under the Health and Safety at Work (Asbestos) Regulations 2016….”What do I need to do about asbestos in the rental” and “Do I need to get it all removed” 

  • What does a “Person in Control of a Business or Undertaking” (PCBU) mean?
  • Am I a PCBU?
  • Health and safety duties for residential landlords
  • Over lapping duties
  • Asbestos management for residential land landlords

A bit about Rob Birse

Rob from WorkSafe New Zealand

Working in health and safety

  • Currently principal adviser for asbestos in Health and Technical Services for WorkSafe NZ
  • Has worked in health and safety for 20 years for the Govt regulator.
  • Has a strong focus on the construction industry health and safety.

Key work areas involving asbestos;

  • Is a subject matter expert providing advice to regulator and industry.
  • Carried out assessment work in Christchurch following the 2010 earthquake.
  • In 2016 was the project manager for the implementation for the Health and Safety at Work (Asbestos) Regulations 2016.
  • Programme member for the WorkSafe response to the Kaikoura- Wellington earthquake 2016
  • Presented to international Asbestos conference held in Adelaide Australia in 2016 and Sydney in 2018 on the implementation of asbestos regulations.

As a sustainable association we encourage you to bring a keep cup or water bottle to meetings. Tea and coffee will be provided.


comments powered by Disqus