Wellington Property Investors' Association

04 472 9877 answerph


If you're a landlord, you're in business

Your rental property might be the result of a clever investment plan or something you just fell into. Either way, if you collect rent on a rental home, you're running a business and there are rules you'll need to comply with. 

The links below should be useful for you as a member and as a property investor.

Membership Application Form

WnPIA Constitution

Tenancy Services

Ministry of Housing and Urban Development

Tenancy Tribunal Decisions Online

Wellington City Council

Porirua City Council

Lower Hutt City Council

Upper Hutt City Council

Tenancy Tribunal Practice Notes 
Tenant Liability for Damages - in effect from 1 August 2016

And as with any business, things keep changing:

  • smoke alarms are now compulsory in your rental home and you must fit the right type in the right places

  • all your new tenancy agreements must now include an insulation statement disclosing if there is insulation, where, what type and its condition — you must make all reasonable efforts to provide this information so tenants know what to expect

  • you will need ceiling and underfloor insulation, where reasonably practicable, by July 2019, though some exclusions could apply.

If you don't comply you could face penalties of up to $4,000.


Tenancy Services

A part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, Tenancy Services, holds bond money in trust and has resources and services to help landlords and tenants understand their rights and responsibilities.

The Tenancy Services website has agreements, forms and templates to make the paperwork easier. You can pay and lodge bonds online, and lodge complaints and Tenancy Tribunal applications.

Market rent calculator — Tenancy Services

Forms and templates — Tenancy Services

Disputes — Tenancy Services

Landlord News and Market Rent e-newsletters — Tenancy Services

If you have any suggestions for useful resources please let us know contact@wnpia.co.nz